Search this keyword

Thursday, April 22, 2010

While you are Sleeping

What hangs above your bed--a painting, intaglios, a wedding sampler? Coming up with something unique and appropriate can be a challenge.

In children's rooms the child's gender plays a part in the decision. I have seen sailboats, airplanes, and sports gear hung above beds. When I was little, my mother created shadowboxes in which she sat our dolls.

My "fashionista" daughter's room has some antique fashion plates hanging above the bed. Napoleon hired Leroy, a fashion designer, to dress the royal court. He continued to be a leading designer even into the Romantic period when exaggerated skirts were popular. My daughter's plates are from this later period.











Above my other daughter's bed hangs a print which hung in my bedroom as I was growing up. The innocence of the young girl carrying petals in her skirt seemed suited to this daughter. (If you know the artist, I would gladly give credit.)












My son's room has a bird print by James Fernandez above the bed, chosen partly for the coloration and partly for its significance. In script subtly beneath the painting are the words, "...and the Lord did not forget," a reference to God not relenting on his promise to save Noah from the flood.
In master bedrooms, the possibilities for above beds are endless, but should speak to whomever sleeps beneath. Let's hope that crossed swords are not symbolic!Portraits of naked cherubs always strike me as a bit over the top, even if painted by Botticelli himself.
For above our bed, I happened upon a solution. My husband's grandmother loved antique fans; so, for a special occasion I purchased one for her. When she moved to a nursing facility, I was given the fan. By now, age was showing on the delicate fabric, so I had it framed. The half-moon shape fits perfectly above a bed.
I'd love for you to comment on what you have staring down at you while you are sleeping.

0 comments :

Post a Comment